From: Society of Will Writers 

When your child is a minor, as the parent, you are able to manage their finances for them. However, what happens when they reach the age of 18 and considered to be an adult?

This article will focus on adult children who may suffer from a disability from birth, a brain injury or even learning disabilities which may make them unable to manage their own finances.

There are many parents that may be in the position where they have children who are dependent on them as a result of a disability and/or where continuous care is required. As the children grow older, they will most likely need to the support from loved ones also.

Once the child turns 18 however, as a parent you cannot continue to manage their finances for them in the same way you could previously.

Depending on the capabilities of your child, they may have the capacity to manage their own finances but may also require your support. There may be other instances where the child simply does not have the required mental capacity to manage their own finances and therefore understand the effects of some of the financial decisions made by them.

Your options are therefore putting a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in place or an application to the Court of Protection for a deputy to be appointed.

An LPA can be created which will enable the appointed attorney(s) to help make decisions on the child’s financial affairs and even their health and welfare. Any decisions made by the attorney must always be in the interest of the donor. An LPA can only be made if the donor, the child in this case, has the requisite capacity.

It is important for us to add that just because someone does not have the capacity to make complicated decisions on their finances, does not automatically mean they do not have the capacity to understand and make an LPA at all. In such cases a professional capacity assessment should be carried out.

If your child does not have the capacity to make an LPA and their financial assets still need to be managed by someone, a deputy will need to be appointed and this will require an application to the Court of Protection. A deputy could be a family member or even a professional deputy.

Could you do with some FREE, sound advice on:

  • Writing a Will – What do I need and how much does it cost?
  • Creating Lasting Powers of Attorney – If I was incapacitated who can act on my behalf?
  • Property Protection Trusts – Can these really save Care Home Fees?
  • Pre-Paid Funeral Plans – With so many to choose from how do I decide which plan is best?

There is so much confusion on these vital areas of estate planning, that sometimes just a chat with an expert in the field can clear up misunderstanding and set out the way ahead, without all the legal jargon.

Or complete the form below

Steve Worsfold
Affiliate Member of the Society of Will Writers
Advising on Wills/Trusts/Probate/Powers of Attorney

Mobile: 07734 744886
Office: 01903 533681





Protecting What’s Precious to You,
Now and in the Future


Sussex Will Writers is proud to support Dementia Friends,
an initiative of The Alzheimers Society


Our business is certified ‘Safe to do business with’ and ‘Code compliant’
by the UK’s largest regulatory body for Will Writers, The Society of Will Writers.
Steve Worsfold has been an Affiliate Member of the Society for 15 years.